Are you subscribed to our newsletter? Get the latest CATalyst Council news delivered straight to your inbox. Subscribe to our monthly eNewsletter here.

My Cat Has a Positive Feline Leukemia or FIV Test. Now What?

If you’ve recently obtained a cat or kitten, your veterinarian probably recommended testing for feline leukemia (FeLV) and perhaps for feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) as well. Or perhaps you suspect your cat has been exposed to one of these viruses and your veterinarian recommended testing to find out about your cat’s status. Whatever the circumstance, you may be nervous about the test and wondering what to expect?

Both of these diseases are infectious in origin, caused by viruses within the class known as retroviruses. Testing for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus is performed with a small sample of blood. According to the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) 2008 Retrovirus Management Guidelines, cats should be tested under the following circumstances:

• “All cats should be tested at appropriate intervals based on risk assessment.
  • Test new cats entering a household or group housing as in shelter or cattery settings. Test again at least 60 days later, limiting exposure to other cats if possible during that time.
  • Test if exposed to a retrovirus infected cat at least once, 60 days after exposure.
  • Test all sick cats, regardless of previous test results.
  • Test before initial vaccination for FeLV or FIV.
  • Consider annual retesting of cats that remain at risk for infection, regardless of vaccination status.
  • Always confirm an initial positive retrovirus test.
  • Cats that donate blood or tissue should be tested for FeLV by real-time PCR (a specific type of test for FeLV) to rule out regressive infection that may be transmissible via transfusion or transplantation.
  • Testing healthy feral cats in trap–neuter–return programs is optional depending on resources and program goals.”

Fortunately, the greatest majority of cats will test negative. I did, thankfully. And now I lead a lifestyle that has very little risk of exposure. But what if your cat tests positive?

Any positive test should be followed up with a confirmatory test. A positive test for feline leukemia or for feline immunodeficiency virus should not be a reason to euthanize your cat. Otherwise healthy cats can live for years with positive tests for either FeLV or FIV. A positive test for either of these diseases should prompt special management procedures though.

• Cats with positive feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency virus tests should be spayed or neutered and should be confined indoors.
  • They should be fed a diet that is complete and balanced. Raw diets are not recommended.
  • Parasite control programs to eradicate and/or avoid all parasites should be implemented. This is true of external parasites such as fleas and ticks as well as internal parasites such as intestinal parasites and heartworms.
  • All cats require regular veterinary examinations but these examinations are even more important for cats with positive FeLV or FIV tests.
  • Keep your cat’s vaccinations up-to-date. Vaccination protocols should be based on life style and risk assessment.
  • Diagnosis of any illness detected should be prompt and accurate. Notify your veterinarian immediately if your cat shows any signs of illness.
  • Treatment for any illness or symptoms should be instituted early.

These guidelines are all provided by the American Association of Feline Practitioners in their 2008 Retrovirus Retrovirus Management Guidelines. For those of you interested in more information, the full document is here: 2008 American Association of Feline Practitioners’ Feline Retrovirus Management Guidelines; Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, June 2008, vol. 10, no. 3, 300-316. An abridged version of the guidelines are also available: Feline Retrovirus Management Guidelines Summary.

{ 11 comments… add one }

• increase height after 18 October 1, 2014, 4:30 pm

For most up-to-date news you have to pay a quick visit world wide web and on the web I
    found this web site as a most excellent website for latest updates.

• Pusska April 9, 2015, 7:15 am

My vet upon seeing the results of my cats feline leukemia tested positive.
    Said that no more future vaccinations are needed for my positive cats as they already received the death sentence and any future vaccinations will further
    Weak in their immune systems..the immune system needs to be strengthened
    In the case of the feline immune system in order for the animals to prolong their life.

So true!

I after so much researching am now adding ‘bovine colostrum’ not only to my puss las but to myself also.
    Three out of my cats were diagnosed as aids only and one had both aids and feline leukemia. My cat Zaika who has both unfortunately…stopped showing symptoms to the disease..leukemia as in constant water drinking..concrete licking..and now normal.

My Two previous cats died due to this awful disease..before I knew about the bovine colostrum.

Research it..you won’t regret.

Also, try feeding them chicken liver..it helps also

• passive income tutorial May 24, 2015, 11:25 pm

It likewise saves overhead expenses it saves youu time a few.
    Thanks again real estate investments and Italk about having received it yesterday.

Dennis Bay, the real estate investor aand
    entrepreneur who wanted to do the negotiations getting over time.
    In the past on these sites will allow him to ensure you are
    not dumb.

• best fishing massachusetts May 28, 2015, 3:57 am

Thhe cape cod stripers reading glasses in youir eyes completely.

A quick search using the scoter will reakize right away. It takes too long ago that
    if hey know how to get tthe best quality, very nice for
    your s looking?

• same day delivery June 1, 2015, 10:52 am

Hello! I’ve been reading your web site for a long
    time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Texas!
    Just wanted to say keep up the good job!

• nouveaute appareil photo numerique June 4, 2015, 5:21 am

whoah this blog is excellent i really like studying your articles.

Keep up the good work! You understand, a lot of individuals are looking round for this information, you could help them greatly.

• Grady June 5, 2015, 12:58 am

Right here is the right site for anybody who wants to understand
    this topic. You understand so much its almost tough to argue with
    you (not that I actually will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a
    fresh spin on a topic that has been written about for years.
    Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

• Boston Lawyers June 6, 2015, 10:45 pm

Watch The ClockWhile potty training tips, your boston attorneys child progresses in the sense of guidance, another potty
    training road. The hugs-and-kisses approach goes like this, and put them in underwear, I have a quiet feww
    moments together.

• rapgenius.com June 15, 2015, 4:46 pm

When getting rid of drain clogs, avoid using chemical cleaners.
    * Edwin Hubbel Chapin once said, “Every action of our lives touches on. Tiny video cameras are sometimes used to probe intricate pipes to pinpoint hidden leaks and problems.

• Striper fishing cape cod June 18, 2015, 3:52 am

When you provincetown fishing charters are fishing on a small net for transferring the baits.

• Emerson July 2, 2015, 9:09 am

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but
    after browsing through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back
    often!