Today is Bloggers Unite for Dog Rescue day, a special online global event held on July 23, 2012 stressing the importance of dog adoption. But, by virtue of the fact that I am CAT Stanley and this is my blog, I’m changing it to Bloggers Unite for Animal Rescue, including not just dogs but cats as well. I hope that’s okay with all you folks. I’m guessing it is because I know that most dog lovers are truly animal lovers.
The fact is that we cats need your help as much as dogs. Maybe even moreso. Here are the facts:
- Of the estimated 8-12 million companion animals that enter animal shelters nationwide every year, approximately 5-9 million are euthanized. This amounts to 70% of cats, compared to 60% of dogs.
- Less than 2% of the cats that enter animal shelters find their way back home compared to 15-20% of the dogs.
- Only 10% of the animals (dogs and cats both) that enter shelters are spayed or neutered.
- Source: ASPCA Facts About Animal Sheltering
What can you do to help?
- Of course, adopting a cat (or even a couple of cats) is one thing you can do.
- Volunteering for a local shelter or rescue is another.
- Donations are always welcomed by shelters and rescues.
Here are some other tips that you should implement in your own home:
- Make sure your pet cat is spayed or neutered.
- Keep your cat indoors.
- Make sure your cat is wearing an identification tag or is microchipped, or both.
- Help educate your friends and coworkers about why these things are important.
If you’re a cat owner, make sure you’re part of the solution and not part of the problem!